Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    HB Super Moderator
    288L connection to 1285A Xover


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Jeez, you mean those aren't just nightmares?
    Not if they pay lots of cash !

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    288L connection to 1285A Xover


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    The jumpers go to the 1200 Xo frequency taps (in the picture, post #4) and to the ( + positive) taps of the HF & LF terminals.If you move the jumpers over to the 800 Hz taps the crossover will now have a 800Hz cutoff,and so on.My 1285's also came with a 30923 attenuator board for matching a medium efficiency woofer like the (411).Your crossover should have a slider switch for changing crossover frequency if it is the 1285-8A. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Altec Best; July 22nd, 2011 at 01:57 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member DSauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    The jumpers go to the 1200 Xo frequency taps (in the picture, post #4) and to the ( + positive) taps of the HF & LF terminals.If you move the jumpers over to the 800 Hz taps the crossover will now have a 800Hz cutoff,and so on.My 1285's also came with a 30923 attenuator board for matching a medium efficiency woofer like the (411).Your crossover should have a slider switch for changing crossover frequency if it is the 1285-8A. I hope this helps.
    John, then what are the stainless three slot jumpers that are on the 500hz taps in your picture for?

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    288L connection to 1285A Xover


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    Quote Originally Posted by DSauro View Post
    John, then what are the stainless three slot jumpers that are on the 500hz taps in your picture for?
    Hey Dave ! It is some sort of bridge for bridging the taps.If you loosen the screws it slides out and you can put it on any of the taps.(What purpose ??) How does it help,don't know.

    I'm uploading some pics they will be up in a minute.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member DSauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Hey Dave ! It is some sort of bridge for bridging the taps.If you loosen the screws it slides out and you can put it on any of the taps.(What purpose ??) How does it help,don't know.

    I'm uploading some pics they will be up in a minute.
    Mine came with them also. That's what I've been using to change freq's. Now your photo's make me question whether a hard wire jumper such as yours maybe necessary. ??

  6. #6
    HB Super Moderator
    288L connection to 1285A Xover


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    They have holes in the top so spade lugs could be used I think take a look. If you slide it out and flip it,put the screws through the holes and mount it then spade lugs could be used.That was around the time that Altec went to the spade lugs on the Large format drivers IIRC.

    39

    40

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member DSauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    John, do you have yours in service currently? I do, and I just loosened those jumpers, and moved them from one frequency to another. They change frequency without being directly externally wire jumped to the hf & lf lugs. Try it. Without them you will get no sound. I really didn't want to think I've been going full range with my 515's & 288's for the last 16 month's, especially with an S.S. amp at high volume levels, usually. I would think I would have fried a voice coil, or diaphram by now.
    Sorry to hijack this thread. Hopefully this part of the discussion will be beneficial to the OP.

  8. #8
    HB Super Moderator
    288L connection to 1285A Xover


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    Quote Originally Posted by DSauro View Post
    John, do you have yours in service currently? I do, and I just loosened those jumpers, and moved them from one frequency to another. They change frequency without being directly externally wire jumped to the hf & lf lugs. Try it. Without them you will get no sound. I really didn't want to think I've been going full range with my 515's & 288's for the last 16 month's, especially with an S.S. amp at high volume levels, usually. I would think I would have fried a voice coil, or diaphram by now.
    Sorry to hijack this thread. Hopefully this part of the discussion will be beneficial to the OP.
    No I don't at the moment. I had them in service for a bit awhile back to do some testing and to make sure they were working properly after i purchased them.I left those bridges at the 500 Hz taps.Just the way I received them.I need to take the cage off to examine them a bit more closely now.I have been working on my project so I haven't really messed with them too much.I just been working a lot so I've been just a weekend warrior lately.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member DSauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    Thanks John, input from others who have used 1285-8B's, or are using them currently would be beneficial, and appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.